Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Warning! one of the photos in this blog may burn your retinas!

Normally I title my blogs after quotes that I find on various websites, but today friends (12!) I had to warn you that the images you are about to see may indeed burn your retinas. For a while now Matt and I  (and when I say Matt - I mean me) have been painting all the walls in our home.  The wonderful (note the sarcasm) builders of our home decided to only primer our walls - which means any time we wiped down the walls with a damp rag - off came the primer. Lovely, right? So we picked a nice neutral "bone white" color for most of the walls (I do have a pumpkin orange wall in my living room that I adore - come over and I'll show you!).
As with most household projects one project becomes many.  It all started off because the toilet paper holder in our bathroom was coming off the wall - again superb building. So Matt decided to knock a hole in the wall, add a 2x4 and then patch it up... because of this, our once brown wall would have to be changed... which I was totally ok with considering I wanted to change the colors of our bathroom to match our "poppy theme" in our home.  We thought that we would also paint the wall behind our bed the same color.  So while Matt was fixing the the now gaping hole in our bathroom, I started painting our bedroom. We decided to pick a nice golden yellow... more like the color of honey butter.  To my dismay our perfectly chosen honey butter color (called "golden yellow") turned out to be the worst possible yellow imaginable.  Matt referred to it as "bee vomit" because he is 100% sure that bee vomit would indeed match their outer color.  I cried. A lot. We rushed to the Depot to find a new perfectly chosen color... this time we took the drapery that we were trying to match.  The new perfectly chosen color still isn't right... but I liked it well enough to decide to change my drapery.  See what I mean when I said one project becomes many. I also decided I hated our glued on mirror... which turns out was barely stuck to the wall... and we got a very pretty classy mirror to replace it... again one project turns into many.
 So you think this story ends here? No my friend, it does not.  I started applying this new color... that just so happens to have a metallic sheen to it to the bathroom wall that was now perfectly repaired... well apparently somewhere from going from our original brown to a light coating of primer to the new metallic soft yellow... we again got a horrendous yellow... only this time it was a totally splotchy yellow... the brown was bleeding through! OMG!!! I said enough is enough and asked Matt to pick up the "bone white" that I discussed earlier and I would just paint the walls the same shade as the rest of the house (because later we will be replacing our cheap plastic bathtub/shower with tile)... Matt asked if I thought it would be ok to buy the paint from the Depot since all the other paint in the house had come from Walmart (which by the way is rated the best from  Consumer Reports) I agreed that the Glidden paint would be fine. Wrong.  Apparently Glidden's base color is different then Walmarts base color and now our bathroom wall is a lighter color then the rest of the walls in the bathroom. sigh. This never ends.  So what we have decided to do is paint all the walls in the master bath the Glidden bone white and just deal with it. Needless to say, my toilet paper is sitting on the window sill in the bathroom because the holder still hasn't been installed. damn damn damn.

So I leave you, reader  with this quote: Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot, others transform a yellow spot into the sun ~ Pablo Picasso. and to continue the quote: and some paint their walls the color of the sun. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy! Makes me scared to paint Jenna's new room this weekend!!! I'm sure whatever you end up with will look fabulous though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new yellow in the bedroom and I am so sorry paint matching isn't going well. We are havin the same problem when trying to fix holes and problems left by our landlord. It's awful construction meets horrible paint choices!!! You will get it all worked out and your house is amazing!

    ReplyDelete