Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Whatever you're thinking about is literally like planning a future event. When you're worrying, you are planning. When you are appreciating, you are planning... ~ Abraham Hicks

I do it to myself I tell ya.  So do you (reader 12) recall that in December I planned Makenzie's first birthday, made homemade gifts for Christmas and the holiday itself, and how I got a little a lot stressed out? How I promised myself not to over-do it ever again.  Well quite frankly friends, it's in my nature to over-do it.  I think I must strive for perfection.  I think that I live for the stress.  I am not by any means a procrastinator, so it's not like I let these things creep up on me to cause the stress, no, I am a victim of wanting public praise. 
ok so now that we are caught up I must tell you about my newest ... creation.  Every year the fire district that I work for puts on a large Employee Appreciation Dinner (EAD from now on, cause thats too much to write out)  and when I say the fire district puts it on, I mean they pay for it.  The actual work belongs to me and Stacy (did you go see her blog? http://www.scottandstacysadventures.blogspot/).  The planning for this event starts in late summer - and when I say planning I mean the formal sit down and have a meeting planning.  The real planning never stops.  I am sure like me, Stacy, has already started conceptionalizing next years gala. so anyhow, back on track, we as a committee meet in the late summer and start getting a feel for what we want for that year's dinner.  Our committee consists of several people - a couple firefighters, a couple chief officers, another office person or two, a chaplain etc... Plans start and over the course of several meetings these plans turn into reality.  By the actual event, it ends up being me and Stacy and that have done the bulk of the work with a few supporting people... Maybe they think we have it covered, maybe they know to just let us handle it, or maybe Stacy and I don't work well in groups and just do it all ourselves, because nobody can do it as well as we can.  yes, my friends, I do it to myself.
   Our big EAD was this last weekend and it was a huge hit!!! I can't tell you how many people told me it was the best dinner yet... maybe I can't tell you how many because I had a little too much to drink. just sayin'.  We had our EAD at a new location this year and it was gorgeous!  Anything is better then the fairgrounds with it's wood paneling and farm animal stench! The food was delish (tri tip and grilled chicken), the company was fabulous, and everyone was dressed to the nines. what the hell does dressed to the nines even mean... now I have to go google that. Every year we have a slideshow (thanks Stacy) that displays photos taken through out the course of the year - this is the evenings big hit! We also have a silent auction, awards, and open mic.  It really is the event of the year... at least for those of us in the fire district.





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! Were you an event planner in a previous life? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and I say this all the time but I mean it......I wish I was more like you!!!

    ReplyDelete