Tuesday, November 2, 2010

House call!

Do you (readers 8!) remember watching Little House on the Prairie where the Dr. actually came to the patient's house? Did you think this only happened when the only modes of transportation was either foot or horse drawn buggies? so did I, until tonight!





So back in July my husband and I went on a houseboat to Lake Shasta, California and did quiet a bit of swimming and playing in the water... which for me resulted in a pretty nasty ear infection - and when I say nasty, I mean loss of hearing and swollen jaw - the works!  I went to see Dr. Hempel and he gave me ear drops and antibiotics and pretty soon I was feeling back to normal. Until Yesterday. I started to feel like my ear was filling up with fluid and it was pretty sore.  Today I was at work and blew my nose and I am telling you, I saw stars!
Tonight, after hours, because of the wonder of Facebook I was able to talk to Dr. Hempel's wife, Amy (she's amazing in her own right!) and before I knew it Dr. Hempel was on his way over to my house. TO MY HOUSE! (I was unable to meet him at the office because Makenzie was already in bed and my husband was at work)

Dr. looked into my ear and told me that my ear drum had burst. lovely. He gave me a ginormous (if that word isn't in the dictionary it should be!) shot of antibiotics and a shot of some wonder pain numbing liquid in my butt. and then he was on his way. That man is amazing. seriously. amazing.

When he left I checked to see if he came over with a horse and buggy ... but was slightly disappointed to see a normal truck.

4 comments:

  1. He rocks! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Thank you Dr. Hempel for reminding us that there are doctors out there that truly love what they do and care about their patients. You get the doctor of the year award no question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Ree!!! where is the nomination form?

    ReplyDelete