Thursday, November 4, 2010

Nursing does not diminish the beauty of a woman's breasts; it enhances their charm by making them look lived in and happy. ~Robert A. Heinlein

Before I know it my daughter will be having her first birthday. wahhhhh!!! I am super excited to watch her grow and learn, but I know I am going to miss all the little things about her being a baby.

I made a promise to myself and my daughter that I would nurse until she turned one... and sadly that milestone is only a month away.  I love nursing.  I love having those quiet moments where we just gaze into each others eyes.  I will miss her letting me cuddle her, because even at 11 months she no longer just lets me rock her.  She reaches up for me to hold her and then 2.2 seconds later she wants down.  I  have already started to teach my body that our  nursing of Makenzie days are numbered.  I used to pump twice at work ... and I slowly stopped that... and now Makenzie gets whole milk when mommy is away.  I personally have never given my daughter a bottle... and do not plan to - it's sippy cup time!

My very favorite time of the day is the 15 minutes that I nurse Makenzie in the morning.  The house is quiet.  Daddy and Sunny are sleeping.  So it's just me and Makenzie. Together we sit in the glider, her in her soft jammies, still smelling of the night before's bathtime. There is nothing like the feeling of soft skin on soft skin. I ignore the clock... I learned months ago that these precious minutes do not need to be timed. 

I know that I can continue to BF past the one year mark, but I also made a promise to my husband... at one year, Makenzie will start sleeping in her own room.  There will no longer be the need for us to wake up 2-3-4 times a night to comfort nurse. I will certainly miss reaching over into her crib in our room and pulling her under the covers to cuddle with me.  But after one year of this... it's Matt's turn... well at least until we get pregnant with baby #2.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Kim. I love reading about you talk about being a mom, it is so nice to hear someone truly loving every moment. I admire you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. look how teeny she was, Rea! I remember thinking her ankles and wrists were the size of a fat sharpie.

    ReplyDelete