Thursday, July 7, 2011

H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown

Yesterday I made mention that Makenzie had just finished 2 weeks of swim lessons, so I thought I would share with you all about that tonight.  Really I am trying to make up for lost time (2 months! - you know you missed me!)
   We decided that as soon as possible we would get Kenzie in swim lessons.  Water safety is very important to me and my husband!  For me it's because of my love of swimming and for Matt its because of his fear of open waters.   Last summer she was just too itty-bitty - even tho she was 7-8-9 months old she was just still so tiny and I couldn't picture her taking lessons just yet - and really didn't think it would be beneficial for a little one just learning how to crawl, let alone swim!  As I am sure you remember, we went to Mexico this spring and Kenzie absolutely loved the time in the pool... and that's when we knew she was ready! We enrolled her in swim lessons soon after we returned, only to find out that she was the only one registered for the class and so it was cancelled.  We had to wait a few more weeks for the next session to begin.  Matt really wanted to be the one to take her to the parent/baby classes - which meant the only class that would work for his schedule was 10 am... this proved to be quite a feat to get Matt and Makenzie to class on time! You have to understand that my husband works nights and so he sleeps a funny schedule, and because of this, so does Makenzie.  They both don't usually wake up until 10!  Because the class fell during MY work schedule, I was lucky enough to have a kick ass boss (who is reading this by the way!) allow me to take a half hour out of my day (using my vacation time of course) so that I could attend each class!

   The parent/toddler classes at our local YMCA is basically just to get the child used to water.  They sang songs at the beginning and end of each of the eight sessions.  The songs were very interactive - teaching the kidlets to jump off the side of the pool into their parent's arms, blowing bubbles, putting the sides of their faces in the water and teaching to kick and splash.  After the first set of songs and before the last, the teachers passed out toys to the three students to play with... Makenzie always chose two balls. (girl after my own heart - not like that you lil' sicko - I collect decorative spheres that I keep in my special display case).













Both Makenzie and Matt really enjoyed their lessons... and I enjoyed watching the bonding and the trust my daughter has for her daddy.  I know the lessons have paid off for Kenzie... just tonight during bath she was dunking the sides of her face and blowing bubbles in the water... all while I sang "buh-dupe went the little green frog one day, buh-dupe went the little green frog. Buh-dupe went the little green frog one day, and he jumped up way up high (or splashed way up high, or blew bubbles way up high)

No comments:

Post a Comment