Monday, February 14, 2011

If, after the first twenty minutes, you don't know who the sucker at the table is, it's you. ~David Levien and Brian Koppelman, Rounders

Check. I see your 50 and raise you 50. Burn one turn one. She’s bluffing. Your big, your small. Upping the ante. River. Flop. Bad beat.
These are terms I love.  Do you (reader 12) recognize them? I’m talking poker here people! Texas Hold ‘em if you don’t mind. I love the game. I love the comrodery of getting together and playing with friends and especially with people I’ve never met before.  I don’t like playing with newbies and I’m too scared to play in a tournament in Reno. It’s the middle of the road people, that know enough to not play stupid, but not sharky enough to scare you out of every hand, that I enjoy the most. 
  Friday we went to our friend Bob and Brandy’s house for Brandy’s birthday – poker party.  Buy in was $5. We’re cheap. There was drinking involved, but when I play poker, I don’t like to drink and usually don’t like to play with drunks.  They make stupid decisions playing on a  7 – 2 (worst hand in poker) and then the damn flop (first 3 cards laid down) comes out with something like a 7-5-2. Such crap, so now my pair of aces is bunk.  Nobody said poker was fair right?  Out of 16 people playing (two tables of 8) I got 5th place. I was pretty disappointed… not my best night – I blame it all on one particular drunk, that I was getting so angry at for taking forever – probably because he was inbetween passing out in his chair during every round.  I’m still bitter at him and his damn 7-2.  We had fun though and I was pleased with who won first place – the birthday girl!!!  By the time we got home at almost 3 in the morning I was exhausted but I had a great time. 


  The next night I was still having poker fever so Matt and I went and bought our own clay chips, a new deck of cards and a faulty card shuffler (matt hates to shuffle) and we played just the two of us... who do you think won?

No comments:

Post a Comment