Tuesday, September 21, 2010

You can't have a testimony without a test...

Ok so I shared the condensed story of matt and I … and now it’s time to share the story of Makenzie… err at least the very very very beginning… when she was just a sparkle in her daddy’s eye.

Ever since I can remember I wanted to be a mommy… I was the girly girl with all the dollies, I even took one of my cabbage patches with me on the first day of first grade.

A month before Matt and I got married I quit birth control. My mom warned me against it saying it would be my luck I’d be knocked up on my wedding day… gasp! I wore white to my wedding! I was a virgin! (muahhahahahaaaaa!) but none the less I wanted my uterus primed and ready for our honeymoon… alas no pregnancy resulted before or during our honeymoon. No biggie… we’ve got time… besides it gave us the opportunity to be just the married couple for a while. By the time our first anniversary rolled around I knew my ovulation times, knew my temperature at any given hour, had it figured out exactly how many minutes it takes to get home for a … visit with my husband at lunch time. I felt desperate to get pregnant. I daydreamed about it constantly. I cried every month when that Bitch Aunt Flo would come visit. It was getting bad. Poor Matt would hug me and tell me everything would be ok. In the mean time we adopted our dog, Sunny... who we treated and still treat as our first child!

Every holiday thru out that year was miserable. I’d see the baby bibs that say “first 4th of July” “First Christmas” etc and it would kill me! I felt like everyone in the universe was sporting their cute baby belly… and because my work looks at the high school entrance I’d see the 14-15-16-17 year olds wearing their tight t-shirts with their cute belly buttons poking out signifying they were due any minute. I wanted to be those girls… only about 15 years older!

Matt finally agreed to see a doctor with me. Dr. Shirts, who I had worked for the first time I lived in KF, soon took on our case… making sure that we first tried on our own for a year. Duh! The first test was the sperm count… Matt’s test came back with like 900 billion sperm… He wasn’t the problem (and was super proud of himself!) – it was me! Although this was good news, because if it’s the boy there is little to none they can do… it was also maddening that the one thing that my girly parts were supposed to do, they weren’t. I felt like my uterus was holding a protest. Bitch.

I was put on clomid – a drug to ensure ovulation… I had always had a normal period… but Dr. was sure that this would be my cure-all. I was also peeing on a stick to tell me the exact ovulation day. Not exactly the stick I wanted to pee on… but when I was ovulating it would smile at me… literally. It was like my urine giving me the go –ahead to make a baby all via a plastic stick.

Still nothing. Dr. ordered me to have a dye test done where they shoot die in the tubes to make sure they were clean and free of any obstructions for our little swimmers… they were… that one cost about $3,000. Mind you none of our fertility treatments were covered under insurance… Makenzie cost us about 10 k and worth every penny. Donations gladly accepted. Thank you.

Finally Dr. Shirts decides that we should have an IUI done (intrauterine insemination) where they take matt’s swimmers and puts them directly in my womb. Dr. tells me I must have a hostile environment… picture uterus with pirate sword, fallopian tubes with num-chucks, etc… and that’s why I am not getting pregnant. So we agree and go in and have our first IUI done. I’m then held upside down (thanks for letting matt push the buttons) for a good 45 minutes! We leave the Dr. and head to Wal-Mart to purchase a baby outfit… we are thinking if we think positive we will get a positive. 2 weeks later that damn Aunt Flo comes. I am crushed.

We are ready to try again once I get my smiley face on the stick… but Dr. is out of town… another month comes and goes… no IUI.

Then in March we get another smiley and I call the Dr. He gets me in that AM. And we have another procedure done. Then he suggests that we do another IUI the next day… since you don’t know the exact hour of ovulation it happens in like a 36 hour period, we agree. The next am we go in and have round two done. . . and then we wait… two very long weeks.

The morning Aunt Flo was supposed to come, and hadn’t I decided to take a pregnancy test… now normally I waited a day or two, but decided that I wasn’t up for any more waiting. I peed on the test, set it aside and got dressed. Went back to the test and it read “pregnant” – now mind you I had peed on another brand of test a few months prior and it gave one of those two line business… and we saw two lines… we were soooo excited… and then I got my period. Dr’s test confirmed that I was never pregnant… but that it could have been a “chemical” pregnancy… whatever the hell that is. So I made sure I bought a test that had the actual word “pregnant” on the screen. I excitedly woke up my husband and told him we were pregnant, he insisted on seeing the test himself. We cried and hugged and took pictures! Dr’s blood pregnancy test confirmed that we were indeed with child!

The next month was Easter so we decided to wait to tell our families until that date. We made Easter baskets with colorful eggs and one golden one… inside the golden egg… a pacifier. Everyone was soooo excited!! (If I can figure out how to add a video I will share my sister – in- law’s reaction!)

I had the BEST pregnancy, and loved every nauseating minute of it! Including the hatred of diesel, the love of cereal, and the baby’s hic-ups!!! I can’t wait to be pregnant again someday… wait… yes I can… I need at least 6 months of sleep before we even consider it again!!!

I will share Makenzie’s birth story in another blog… it deserves its own entry. Because, for what was easy during my pregnancy ,was made up for in the 3 days of labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment